History

Historical Timeline of Stringfellow

  • 1920 - Susie Parker Stringfellow dies, leaving money and plans for the development of a hospital.
  • 1938 - Stringfellow Memorial Hospital opens its doors as a 10-bed tuberculosis hospital.
  • 1955 - The need for a tuberculosis hospital diminished and the doors close. Plans begin for building a full-service hospital.
  • 1958 - The new Stringfellow Chronic Disease Hospital opens with 18 private rooms and four semi-private rooms; hospital now able to accommodate 30 patients.
  • 1965 - Renovation occurs and hospital now equipped with 60patient beds and two operating rooms.
  • 1970 - More expansion and 43 surgical beds added, bringing the capacity to 103 beds; hospital becomes accredited by the Join Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
  • 1977 - Two surgery suites added making (4) total.
  • 1985 - Expansion occurs, which brings hospital to a full- service 125-bed facility.
  • 1994 - Hospital came under management of Health Management Associates, Inc.
  • 1995 - Patient rooms renovated.
  • 1997 - Hospital begins 30 year lease by Health Management Associates, Inc.
  • 1997 - Major additional parking expansion completed.
  • 1999/2000 - Emergency Room expansion to (13) beds; laboratory and pharmacy also moved and expanded; additional renovation of patient rooms completed.

2011 - First hospital in Calhoun County to receive Chest Pain Accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers.